DVRZ got its name from the Darnytsky Car Repair Plant, which operates to this day. The microdistrict arose in 1934 as the village of the Darnitsky depot when the first barracks-dormitory for plant builders were built here, and modern development began in the 1930-50s. After 2000, multi-storey new buildings began to appear in the DVRZ, but due to poor transport links with the rest of Kyiv and the low rating of the area among real estate buyers, construction has not been carried out here since 2010.

The tram line at DVRZ was inaugurated on May 1, 1936: a single-track line with two sidings provided communication with the neighboring Staraya Darnitsa, from where it was possible to get to Kyiv by another tram or a commuter train. During the Great Patriotic War, the tram industry fell into disrepair, and the tracks were stolen for scrap metal in the first post-war years. By the end of the 1950s, DVRZ was connected to the city only by bus. In the fall of 1959, after the construction of the Darnitsky tram depot, a tram track was built at the DVRZ, which connected it with Darnitskaya Square. Almost 60 years later, the tram, not counting minibuses 211, 423 and 555, remains the main transport of the DVRZ microdistrict.

This is interesting!

1. The two-story house at 105/2 Alma-Atinskaya Street, built at the end of 1934, is the first and oldest residential building of the DVRZ.
2. Most of the episodes of Potap and Nastya Kamensky’s video “On the Paradise” were filmed at DVRZ.

From the cultural and social spheres, there is the Dneprovets stadium, built in 1953 and designed for 500 seats, a sports school at the stadium, a center for culture and arts of the Dneprovsky district (formerly the House of Culture of the DVRZ, opened in 1954). In this center there are various clubs, a theater of the Ukrainian tradition “Zerkalo”, a library (created in 1935 by the trade union of the Darnytsky Car Repair Plant, the book fund is more than 35,000 copies).

There are two monuments in the microdistrict. The monument to the DVRZ workers who died during the Great Patriotic War is made in the form of two stones with the inscription “To you, who gave the flame of life to the council of life on earth”; near the stones stands a stele under which the “eternal flame” burns annually on May 9th. On the square in front of the carriage repair plant there was a three-meter high monument to Lenin, erected in 1959. It was dismantled in February 2014 during the mass dismantling of monuments of the totalitarian past and is currently stored on the territory of the plant.
In 1997, in the converted building of an extension to a residential building on Marganetskaya Street, the Orthodox Church of the Great Martyr Panteleimon of the Moscow Patriarchate was opened. Since 2010, services have been held in a new single-domed church built of white brick. The temple is located on the territory of the only park in the Far Eastern Territory called “Sosnovy”.

DVRZ will be of little interest to those who are looking for entertainment, popular places that can be talked about on social networks, gourmet restaurants or, at worst, authentic lamb kebab shops, places for dates, etc… This microdistrict will bring pleasure from being there for those who want see what the outskirts or remote places of Kiev looked like in the 1930-1960s, admire the intricate and exquisite architecture of ancient two-story houses, enjoy the peace, tranquility and clean air.

Where is the DVRZ?