The Vvedensky Monastery was founded thanks to the efforts of Matron Alexandrovna Egorova. After the death of her husband, she began to manage the considerable money that he left her. Material values helped her realize her dream – to create a women’s community, but for this purpose a large territory was needed. Egorova began buying houses in the Pechersky district, on Rybalskaya and Moskovskaya streets. Soon she owned all the real estate in the block. In 1878, a women’s community was opened, the area of which was about 5,000 square meters. A church was built in the main building of this community. The founder, Matron Egorova, became its abbess and took monastic vows. After her death, the Vvedenskaya community she created received a fortune in the amount of 21,000 rubles and all real estate. Since the community was organized at some distance from Kievo-Pechersk Fortress, the military department put forward the requirement that permanent buildings not should be built near the fortress. That is why it was decided to build the temple in the cornerstone of Rybatsky’s mansion. The three floors of the building, built in 1880-1881, housed cells, a bread room and a storeroom. In the attached brick building there was a janitor’s room, a stable, and a bathhouse. In the wing on Moskovskaya Street there was a pharmacy, a hospital for nuns and other institutions. In 1891, the community owned 8 houses built of wood and brick and an orchard.
Shrines of the Vvedensky Monastery
– The miraculous icon of the Mother of God “Look at Humility”
– Relics of the founder of the monastery, Venerable Dimitra of Kyiv
– Relics of the Venerable Olympias of Arzamas
– Piece of the relics of the Holy Martyr Christina
– Particle of the relics of the Holy Martyr Tryphon
– Particle of the relics of Saint and Confessor Nicholas, Metropolitan of Almaty and Kazakhstan
– Particle of the relics of St. Mary Magdalene Equal to the Apostles
– A particle of the relics of the blessed Queen Feofaniya
– Icon of the Mother of God “Bogolyubskaya”
In 1901, a decree of the Holy Synod was issued, according to which the community was transformed into the Holy Vvedensky Monastery. In January 1930, the Kiev city council decided to evict persons not related to labor categories from the Vvedensky Monastery. On this basis, 142 nuns were forced to leave the monastery. The monastery was closed, the bell tower was dismantled, and the buildings were occupied by institutions of various importance. In the fall of 1941, the monastery resumed its activities, but 20 years later, in the 1960s, it was closed again. In 1992, the monastery church, which was located on Moskovskaya Street, again returned to the disposal of the UOC, and services began in mid-June 1992. In 1996, the Vvedensky Monastery became a monastery for men. On June 20, 2012, a celebration took place of the twentieth anniversary of the monastery’s work from the date of its third opening and the consecration of the bell tower, which had been restored.
Where is the Holy Vvedensky Monastery?
Moskovskaya street, 42
services: morning 08:00 (Sun 06:00 and 08:30), evening 16:00