The Klovsky Palace was built in 1756 according to the design of the architects Gottfried Schedel (born in Germany; worked a lot in Kievo-Pecherskaya Lavra during the construction of the bell tower, galleries in the Near and Far Caves, the key house and cells, helped in the design of St. Andrew’s Church; donated many times petition to leave for their homeland, but never received permission; since 1744 he had not received a salary and died in Kiev in extreme poverty on February 10, 1752) and Peter Neelov (participated in the construction of St. Andrew’s Church, Mariinsky Palace; according to his design the following were built: the bell tower in the Far Caves of the Kiev Pechersk Lavra and the Trinity Church Kitaevskaya Pustyn) for the Russian Empress Elizabeth Petrovna. The stone construction was completed by master Stepan Kovnir, who introduced elements of Ukrainian folk architecture into the composition and design of the palace. The palace is located in the ancient district of the city of Klov (hence the name), which in ancient times belonged to the Kiev Pechersk Lavra. At first the palace was two-story. In 1863 the third floor was added. The interior of the palace was painted in 1757 by Ukrainian artists. Simultaneously with the construction of the palace, a decorative park was planted.
During the existence of the palace, various establishments were located in it. At first there was a printing house of the Kiev Pechersk Lavra, then for a long time there was a military hospital here; in 1811-56 – the First Men’s Gymnasium; before the October Revolution of 1917 – a women’s religious school. During the civil war, the palace was destroyed. It was restored in 1930. Since 1982, the Kyiv History Museum has been located here. Since 2003, it has housed the Supreme Court of Ukraine (after the transfer of the palace to state ownership and lengthy reconstruction for the needs of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, carried out during 2003-2009, the original interior, the characteristic layout of the palace premises were lost and the facade was significantly changed).
Where is Klovsky Palace?
Philip Orlik Street, 8