The Pharmacy Museum is an exhibition dedicated to the history of the formation of Ukrainian pharmaceuticals and pharmacy business. In 1728, the German Johann Geither opened the first private pharmacy in Kyiv in Podol, not far from Andreevskiy Spusk, the patent for which he received Decree of Emperor Peter II of July 28, 1728. After his death, in 1751, the pharmacy was inherited by his widow, Anna Gaither. In the same year, Georg-Friedrich Bunge took over the management of the pharmacy, who later became Anna’s son-in-law and gave rise to a dynasty of Kyiv pharmacists.
Being the only private pharmacy in Kyiv, it brought Bunge a lot of profit (the state pharmacy at the hospital was intended exclusively for the military). After the terrible Podolsk fire of 1811, the pharmacy building was rebuilt in the forms of classicism by the architect A. Melensky (Andrei Ivanovich was noted for the projects of such buildings in Kiev as: monument to Magdeburg Law, Church of the Resurrection Florovsky Monastery, St. Nicholas Church on Askoldova Mogila, Church of the Nativity, Church of the Exaltation of the Cross). The pharmacy existed for more than a century, until 1835, after which the house was sold and passed from hand to hand. In 1983, restoration and creation of a pharmacy-museum began in this building, which opened in 1986.
On the ground floor of the museum, the interior of a pharmacy from the 18th and 19th centuries has been recreated. Here are pharmaceutical utensils, furniture, dental and surgical instruments, etc. In the basement there are several installations: a healer’s hut, a herbalist monk’s cell, an alchemist’s laboratory.
Where is the pharmacy museum?
Pritissko-Nikolskaya street, 7
044 425 2437