Ascension Church

Since 1841, at Bajkovo Cemetery there was the Church of St. Demetrius of Rostov, which was not only a cemetery, but also parish. Over time, the temple ceased to accommodate all believers, and the architect Vladimir Nikolaev (Tereshchenko mansion, Galperin’s mansion, Liberman’s mansion, philharmonic, monument to Khmelnitsky, Zaitsev’s mansion) a project for a new church in the pseudo-Byzantine style was developed. Funds collected by the cemetery for the allocation of grave sites were used for the construction of the temple.

The foundation stone for the new church took place in 1884, and its consecration took place on November 5, 1889. The old church was dismantled in 1897. The type of the temple is cross-domed, single-bath. In the 1900s, a parochial school operated in the church, and in 1909 a library was formed at the church. In July 1920, the parish community was registered. Subsequently, the temple was transferred to the Renovationists (a movement in Russian Orthodoxy that arose officially after the 1917 revolution – declared the goal of democratizing governance and modernizing worship). At the end of the 1930s, the temple was closed, but services resumed in 1941. In the 1960s, the temple was closed again and turned into a memorial hall of the cemetery (while the paintings of the temple were preserved). In 1988, an initiative group was formed that sought the return of the temple to believers. On August 17, 1990, shortly after the consecration of the temple in a small way, services resumed there. The Ascension Church belongs to the UOC-KP.

Where is the Church of the Ascension located?

Baykovaya street, 6