Peoples’ Friendship Arch

This attraction is located in Kreshchaty Park, and its opening took place in 1982 after four years of construction and was timed to coincide with the 60th anniversary of education of the USSR. The sculptural and architectural composition replaced the summer stage that was located here. The Arch of Friendship of Peoples consists of three elements: an arch of titanium sheets in the form of a huge rainbow, a bronze sculpture of two workers and a sculpture of granite with a scene from the Pereyaslav Rada (a meeting of representatives of the Zaporizhzhya Cossacks, headed by Hetman Bohdan Khmelnitsky, held in January 1654 in Pereyaslav, at which a decision was made in public to unite the territory of the Zaporizhian Army with the Russian kingdom, secured by an oath of allegiance to the tsar).

The Workers’ Monument is a two-figure composition (height 6.2 meters) of workers – a Ukrainian and a Russian, who jointly raised the ribbon with the Order of Friendship of Peoples. On the pedestal of the sculpture there is an inscription of metal letters in 2 languages (Russian and Ukrainian): “To commemorate the reunification of Ukraine with Russia” and “To commemorate the rise of Ukraine from Russia.” It was dismantled on April 26, 2022 in the process of getting rid of Kyiv from Soviet monuments symbolizing relations with Russia.
A horizontally elongated multi-figured composition dedicated to the reunification of Ukraine with Russia by sculptor Alexander Skoblikov (participated in the design of the WWII memorial complex, author of the monument to Nikolai Gogol at Rusanovka) contains statues of Bogdan Khmelnitsky and the Russian ambassador, boyar Vasily Buturlin. The sculptural groups are connected by a rainbow arch, which, according to the authors, symbolizes the unity of the two peoples.
Behind the monument is an observation deck, which offers magnificent views of Podil, the Dnieper and its left bank.

Where is the Arch of Peoples’ Friendship located?