Sennaya Bazaar

The central indoor market (Kolkhozny) was built in 1949-1958 on the site of the demolished Yevbaz (Jewish Bazaar). But the people of Kiev adopted a different name for this bazaar – it was christened Senny, after the market of the same name that was liquidated during the reconstruction of Lviv Square (Senny was called because people often came there to buy hay in the 19th century). The total area of the Haymarket was the largest in the Ukrainian SSR – more than 9,000 square meters, which could accommodate about 1,200 traders in specially equipped places.

The hay market was multi-tiered. In the lower tier there were basements that served as refrigerated storage rooms. On the first tier there was a trading floor and a gallery that surrounded the entire trading floor. The lower tier was intended for counter trade (essentially for barter). Along the perimeter of the second floor there was a balcony, to which a staircase led at the ends of the trading floor. During the construction of the Haymarket, many new technologies were used, previously not used in Soviet construction. For example, the transparent vaulted roof of the Senny Market was assembled from 32,000 glass blocks, which were ultra-fashionable at that time.

In 2004, Kyiv officials announced that it was necessary to inspect the structures of the bazaar building. The inspection revealed that the technical condition of the market premises was unsatisfactory and it was recommended to suspend its operation for major repairs. The Sennaya Market was closed for reconstruction… Soon 100% of the roof and supporting structures, as well as the first floor of the bazaar, were dismantled, but all work stopped there until the summer of 2015, when the ruins of the Sennaya Market were finally destroyed and removed during the preparation process site for the start of construction work on the construction of the Yaroslavov Grad residential complex. It is planned to build 14 buildings with an area of 113,000 square meters and a height of up to 22 floors.

Where was the Haymarket?

Bulvarno-Kudryavskaya street, 15