The triangle-shaped area was formed here long before the creation of the park. In 1891, a chapel was opened here in honor of a certain event. In October 1888, Emperor Alexander III, returning with his family from Crimea to St. Petersburg, almost became a victim of a train accident near Kharkov – the train in which they were traveling derailed. However, by luck, neither the emperor nor any member of the royal family was among the dead. This was perceived as a great miracle. Churches were built throughout the country in honor of what happened, and prayer services were held in which praise was given to Christ the Savior.
The chapel was built according to the design of the architect Vladimir Nikolaev (Ascension Church at Baikov cemetery, Tereshchenko mansion, Galperin’s mansion, Liberman’s mansion, National Philharmonic, monument to Bogdan Khmelnitsky). Above the entrance was written: “October 17, 1888” – the date of the train crash. At the same time, the area around the religious building was improved and since then there has been a park there. In the mid-1920s, on orders from the Soviet authorities, it was demolished. In 1975, a monument to Ivan Kotlyarevsky was erected on the site of the chapel, which is a bronze bust of the writer on a rather high pedestal, decorated based on his works. The park has an area of 1.6 hectares. There is a children’s playground, a fountain (informally called the “lover’s fountain” due to its heart shape) and a number of unusual sculptures with quotes on pedestals. Across the road is one of the government dachas from the times of the USSR.